One Reason Your Website is not Getting You Clients & 5 Tips to Fix It
I love building websites, and I believe a website should be updated at least once a year, just like we update our sales materials, offerings, products and service packagings. I’ve been screening through hundreds, if not thousands of websites together with my development team, and notice a few serious mistakes many designers do. But let’s discuss one particular:
Most designers’ websites don’t have an invitation to get to know them better!
Yes, an invitation to come to my world. An invitation that speaks directly to my dream clients, that demonstrates what I can, know, how I am to work with and why, WHY someone should work with me! That’s an invitation. Not a request to call me and schedule a meeting. Not an offer for a free telephone consultation. But an invitation to stay with me for a while, and figure out whether we are a match made in client-designer-heaven.
Websites should be updated at least once a year to match your business and dream clients. We see quite many outdated web sites and, of course, help our clients to get beautiful, highly converting sites! Here are 5 quick tips to fix crappy websites:
1) Your website is for and about your potential clients. It’s not about you, it’s not even what you know and do, and what you have done before. Yes, as design professional it’s important to demonstrate what results you can achieve for your clients, but the focus should be on your potential clients’ Pains, Frustrations, Dreams, and Goals. So create a spot on your website that clearly describes how you understand their pains and frustrations and how you can help them to go to their dream situation.
2) Have images of you and your team. Nobody wants to hire a stranger, so make sure you have images of your team, and tell something personal about you.
3) Be an educator. Help your potential client to know, like, and trust you. How to build trust? You demonstrate what you can. How to get them to like you? You show your personality. How to get them to know you? You attract them through social media, PR and other marketing activities.
4) Offer an invitation to your world. Converting strangers to leads and customers is like dating; you have to show your best sides to them, nurture the relationships and make them want to meet you again. Create an informative handbook or video and have them download it in exchange for contact details, such as an email.
5) Most people who come through social media use their mobile phone to land on your website. Make sure your web page looks amazing on a mobile phone!